InnoTab 2 Improvements
Posted 18 July 2012 - By Mike Green
It's usually the case with electronics that the successor will improve upon it's predecessor and the Innotab 2 is no exception.
VTech analysed the competition (the LeapPad), listened to customer feedback and went about producing the Innotab 2.
The main improvements are:-
- Built-In digital camera capable of both photo and video. This can be cleverly rotated to capture images both forward and backword facing. Previously kids had to use a Kidizoom camera to take photos which could then be transferred to the original Innotab.
- Built-In microphone to compliment the new camera to record sound with video. Additionally it can be used to control some of the new apps and games.
- Much greater onboard memory from 64MB of the first Innotab to 2GB of the Innotab 2. This is also upgradeable via the SD/SDHC card slot which will accept cards of up to 16GB.
- Augmented Reality brings games to life using the built in camera, which allows kids to interact with game characters that are superimposed onto real surroundings and displayed on the screen.
- Cosmetically the Innotab 2 looks a lot more sleeker and smarter. The recommended age range has also changed to 3 to 9 year olds (the original Innotab was 4 to 9 year olds). All apps and cartridges previously purchased for the original tablet will also be compatible.
All in all we think VTech has vastly improved upon what was a already very good product.